Friday 27 May 2011

IPO Liverpool


IPO Liverpool is always an exhausting elated experience, we’ve played it for the last 9 years and usually we end up playing three gigs in one day. This year was no exception. We go up to The ‘Pool' with Bob ‘Kelly’s Heels’ Kelly & his lovely Mrs and Bruise and Kelly’s Heels whizz from venue to venue pumping out 25 minute sets of perfectly formed pop. It’s really exhilarating. Bruise’s first gig was The Cavern Club at 12.30pm on Sunday! Yes shortly after breakfast, too early to think, so I didn’t bother. I was astonished and gratified to see the audience, almost every seat filled with familiar faces (if you know what I mean) and it was hard to fathom how so many people had dragged themselves from their rest to hear us play. Then the room filled up to standing room only. The set went
‘Don’t Make Me Wait’ – a nice gentle start
‘The Prize’ – I’m loving the mid-tempo momentum of this song now it’s in the set, it’s kind of magnetic and irresistible
‘Stranger in You’ – always a pleasure
‘Little Victories’ – another relatively new addition to the set, performing this song feels like white water canoeing, if I wasn’t so busy I’d laugh out loud, the journey, the ups and downs, it is such a joyful thing to me
‘Nobody Else’ – Jim and Bob make this track vocally so exciting, I love it
‘Jennifer’ – Possibly the most up tempo track we have and another gleeful trip for me.
And that was it. I’d had a magnificent time but found myself a little confused after such an early and energetic gig. Straight to the pub to settle myself with a Sunday lunch and half a pint. 6 pm found Jim and me the rhythm section for Kelly’s Heels; it’s a treat for me to be onstage in a supporting role especially for such an intense songwriter as Bob Kelly. Bruise’s last appearance at IPO Was 10.30 Sunday night at The Cavern Pub, and an entirely different affair to the lunchtime performance the pub was rammed with stag nights, hen nights and Bruise fans, an oddly satisfying mixture. We played an almost identical set only substituting ‘The Prize’ for ‘Mr Rat’, no monitors at this venue so slightly less blissful for us however I loved it still. We were rewarded with a dancing crowd, absolute attention and I could not have been happier. Here comes the list of thanks, and I have a lot of people to thank, Katy, Ron, Hazel, Sheila, Roy, Lesley, Ni for coming to both gigs. Evo and the Appelpop posse for coming so far and generally being brilliant! Darren, Lesley, Jim & Louise for making a special effort. For putting it all together; David and Rena. Finally Tony & Robbie for doing the sound & doing it well. Hurrah!

No comments: